Accessibility in Blackboard Open LMS
Accessible products are a must, not a “nice-to-have.”
One of the biggest challenges organizations face today is accessibility in their products. As an internationally developed tool, Moodle core is designed to meet a variety of world accessibility requirements for all users regardless of age, ability, or situation.
Our products are designed and developed in accordance with the internationally recognized Web Content Accessibility (WCAG) Guidelines 2.0 Level AA as well as the Section 508 standards in the United States. A third party conducts regular audits of our software to ensure quality expectations are being met and maintained.
Blackboard Open LMS includes the following:
- Full support of assistive technologies such as screen readers, text magnifiers and speech-to-text solutions.
- All functionality is designed to be keyboard accessible. Global keyboard shortcuts for common actions.
- As an open-source project, more than 70 million users worldwide are continuously using and testing Moodle, and all issues identified are openly reported, discussed, and fixed. Likewise, a worldwide project, which has had major investments from the UK, Italy, New Zealand, etc., works to make Moodle the most accessible LMS in the world.
Blackboard Open LMS is content agnostic and allows instructors to easily import content to their courses from external sources, including standard test item formats and test generation applications.
Blackboard Open LMS also supports the following standards:
- ADA/Section 508
- WCAG 2 Level A
- IMS Content Packaging v1.4
- IMS Common Cartridge1
- IMS Enterprise v1.1
- IMS Learning Information Services (LIS) version 2.0
- IMS Learning Tools Interoperability (LTI) v2.0
- IMS Caliper
- xAPI(with Tin Can API launcher)
- SCORM 1.2/AICC