Five highlights of the new Moodle 2.8 Gradebook
The Moodle 2.8 release focused its attention on updating and adding to the gradebook capabilities. Although configuring the gradebook is very much the same as it has been in previous releases some of the updates will require the teacher to navigate to a new location for setup. Additionally new grading reports were added to grade for a single student or activity as well as assist with viewing grade history. Let’s look at five of the updates in further detail.
1. Navigate to the Setup tab by going to Administration > Course administration > Grades > Setup. Previously called Categories and Items this renamed tab now contains sub-tabs for Categories and items Course grade settings and My preferences. This allows the teacher to go to one location to configure the layout of the gradebook and the settings associated with displaying items in the gradebook.
2. The newly relocated Categories and items tab now only has one view. This view is simplified into five columns Name Weights Max grade Actions and Select. To update the category and activity grade settings go to the Actions column and select Edit settings. This is where a teacher would go to update settings for aggregation and grade totals. Additionally the location for which the aggregation type that is selected displays has moved to the category total area.
3. The newest aggregation type called Natural is similar to the old Sum of Grades option however the Natural aggregation option permits teachers to change the weight given to an activity. By default natural weights are given to the activities and do not need to be changed unless a different weight is desired.
4. An optional grading view called Single view allows teachers to grade for an individual student or and individual activity. To give a grade in this view select either a student’s name or an activity’s name enter the grades and feedback then select Update. In addition to posting grades and feedback teachers can also mark grades as overridden or excluded as well as perform a bulk insert of grades for all grades or empty grades on the page.
5. The Grade history is a report that displays details about student grades such as date and time original and revised grade source overridden locked excluded status and feedback. This report can be filtered by user grade item grader and date.
All of these new features have added to the capabilities of the Moodle gradebook.
~Janelle Gieseke, Senior Corporate Trainer
Blackboard Open LMS Inc.